Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Day the World Turned Upside Down


Ten years ago, on a normal school day morning, I answered my phone and I remember being told to turn on my television. It was after the first plane had hit one of the twin towers. It was horrific. Along with many other Americans I stayed glued to my television and watched in horror as the events played out before my eyes. Events I could not believe were happening. How could this take place in America?

The twin towers, the Pentagon, the fields of Pennsylvania~ all places of honor where men and women lost their lives. Some lost in the first moments of that brutal attack, others willingly sacrificed their own lives to save others.
9/11 will never be the same again. As a people I hope that it is more than a date. I hope that it is a time that we remember, reflect, and resolve to hold those close to us a little longer and enjoy the precious moments we have with them.


And I hope we try to be better than we were before, as individuals, and as a nation.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Reading this, the memories of that day came flooding back to me and I will never forget it.

    I was just being dropped off at school after seminary when Mallorie mentioned the twin towers and I had no idea what she was talking about. It wasn't until I entered my classroom when I learned what had happened. Sometime after that, our high school did a special assembly honoring those that had lost their lives. I will never forget that day, and my heart goes out to all of those people that lost their lives.

    ReplyDelete